Home PageAmmanford fire stationHistoryFire Stories 1Fire Stories 2Fund RaisingCommunity Fire Safety and Fire PreventionIndustrial ActionRetired Members

Stories from the year 1946 Stories from the year 1945 Stories from the year 1944 Stories from the year 1943 Stories from the year 1942 Stories from the year 1941 Stories from the year 1940


Fire Guard Service
George Medal winner does it again

Fire Guard celebrate in Verse
Tribute to Ammanford Fire Guard
Cwmamman Fire Guard Event

6th July 1944





Already holder of the George Medal,

An Ammanford man, Fireman Lyn Davies, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Davies (hairdresser), Myddfai House, Wind Street, who now resides at 72, Royston Avenue, Chingford, has again distinguished himself by courage and devotion to duty during enemy action in southern England.

Lyn, before he left Ammanford some years ago, was actively associated with the local Cricket and Rugby Clubs.

He was awarded the George Medal in 1941, and it will be recalled that he was given a grand welcome when he appeared on the platform on the Cricket Field during one of the Savings campaigns promoted in the town. He was then on leave.


In 1940, Lyn showed great gallantry in rescuing seven people when his own road was bombed, and it was for this that he received the George Medal.

He has been a member of the National Fire Service since the Munich crisis in 1938, and played his part all through the London blitzes. Until three months ago, he was attached to the Chingford N. F. S. Station, but has since been serving at Enfield.


Lyn was recently given a day off to recompense him for extra duty he had carried out, and decided to have a day's holiday elsewhere.

Whilst in a shop, he was knocked off his feet by the blast from a flying bomb which fell only 50 yards away. He immediately picked himself up and made for the building which had been hit.

A man's hand was sticking out from the debris, and Lyn commenced rescue work aided by an Indian and a member of the Civil Defence. The man rescued was also an Indian, and his countryman helping to rescue him was able to act as interpreter.

The victim thanked his rescuers and told them of others buried beneath him.


Lyn made a daring ascent to the storey of the building in order to rescue a child, returning yet again for its mother.

Altogether he was working for five hours. There was danger from leaking gas pipes in the building, and a doctor on the scene of the incident, treated him against strain, and advised him to rest.

Lyn, however, carried on until it was certain that he could help no more, later accompanying injured persons safely to hospital.

Lyn and his wife have lived in Chingford since their marriage 15 years ago. They have two children, Philip aged 10 years, and Janice aged seven years.

Lyn describes his action as “just what anyone would do in the circumstances.”

Top of Page