Home PageAmmanford fire stationHistoryFire Stories 1Fire Stories 2Fund RaisingCommunity Fire Safety and Fire PreventionIndustrial ActionRetired Members

SAFE AS HOUSES CRUCIAL CREW 1998 FIRE STATION VISIT 1999 GET OUT STAY OUT FIRE SAFETY AUDITS 2004 BOY 8 RESCUES MUM

THE CHIP PAN DISPLAY
 

The consequence of putting water onto a burning chip pan will be horrific. The short movie obviously displays that fact. However what is not forth coming is the fact that the heat, flames and smoke have somewhere to escape, i.e. through the aperture.

IN YOUR KITCHEN this is not the case. Your room has walls, windows and doors which may be shut or open.

In the closed position the heat, flames and smoke have nowhere to go but up to the ceiling, out against the walls, windows and doors and rebounding off these to the room's center and down to the floor and back. Anyone in this space is cooked.

In the open position, that is open doors leading to other parts of your house, then there can only be one conclusion, the heat, flames and smoke after rebounding from the structures will inevitably escape through the path of least resistance and that is to the next room.

 

This will spread dramatically destroying your possessions and trapping or killing any one else in the house.

Look again at the short movie before you move on, baring in mind what you have just read, and remember never to put water on any fat fire, whether it be a chip pan, grill or oven pan that may contain for example roast beef laying in fat juices.

KNOW YOUR ESCAPE PLAN, MAKE SURE YOUR FAMILY KNOWS IT TOO.

 
Top of Page