At about twenty minutes past eight o’clock on Thursday evening last, information was conveyed to the Ammanford Police Station that two cottages at Nantmelyn, Hopkinstown, were on fire.
They were the property of Mr. John Morgan, Heoldwr, Ammanford, and were occupied by Mr. Wm. Hughes and Mr. Dd. Phillips, and it appears that Mrs. Hughes left some clothes in front of the fire while she went out of the house for a few minutes, and they became ignited, and very shortly the thatched roofs, which ere covered with zinc, were ablaze.
By the aid of numerous helpers nearly all the furniture was taken from the house, but Mrs. Hughes sustained severe injuries through accidentally putting her arm through the window, the broken glass of which severed the ligaments and main artery in her left wrist. She bled profusely, and but for first-aid rendered by Mr. W. H. Phillips, Walter Road, might have bled to death before the arrival of Dr. Stewart, who found her in a very exhausted state, and she had to be removed to the house of her mother-in-law in Bettws on a stretcher.
The wife of the occupant of the other house, Mrs. Phillips, had only recently returned from Swansea Hospital, where she had undergone an operation, and she was in bed at the time of the outbreak. She was got out and taken to Tycoch.
There was a plentiful supply of water from the town main, and within a quarter of an hour of the arrival of Mr. John Davies, captain of the Fire Brigade, with the hose reel, the flames were got under.
Others who arrived on the scene were Inspector Davies, P. S. Britten, Mr. Dan Thomas, Mr. Jos. Joseph, and Mr. Toombs, but the two last named members of the brigade, owing to the want of a fire alarm in the town, were too late to give the assistance they would otherwise have been able to do.
The damage is estimated at £100 to £150.