Home Page
 
15th SEPTEMBER 1988
 

KITCHEN GUTTED BY PAN BLAZE


 

HEAD COOK MYFANWY MORGAN AND HER DEPUTY, MAIR CAMERON, BEMOAN THE FACT THAT THEIR KITCHEN WAS COOKED TO A CINDER ON FRIDAY NIGHT.

   
 

DAMAGE costing many thousands of pounds to repair was caused on Friday night when fire gutted the kitchen at Ammanford Junior School.

The blaze began in a chip frying machine which was inadvertently left on. “We are not sure exactly how this happened,” said head master David Williams.

“But the machine had apparently been serviced earlier the same day.”

The loss of the kitchen, which provided around 400 meals a day for the junior school, the Welsh School, the Special Unit, the Nursery School and Walter Road Infants School, has caused considerable disruption this week.

But Mr. Williams stressed that an adjoining dinning room, which was badly damaged by smoke, would be re-decorated and back in use by Monday of next week. “Hot meals will be provided by staff at the Amman Valley Comprehensive School and served in our canteen,” he said.

It took Ammanford firemen half an hour to bring the blaze under control, using breathing apparatus and two hose reels.


Top of Page

STORY:
UNKNOWN

PHOTO:
PETER EVANS