Home Page
26th OCTOBER 1989


Photograph of Daniel Williams who raised the alarm
  Inside..DEVASTATION.. Cwmgorse rugby club secretary Winston Jones surveys the scene.

boy hero… Daniel Williams.



Arsonists blamed for torching the Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen miners welfare hall could have killed drinkers at Cwmaman RFC's clubhouse, an angry official told the Guardian this week.

Rugby club members were evacuated on Saturday night after 12-year-old Daniel Williams, of Maes Gareth Edwards, spotted flames coming from the hall.

Club steward Mr. Cellan Evans told the Guardian: “Another 15 minutes and it would have been so-long Waun Hall.”

Firemen from Ammanford and Pontardawe used breathing apparatus in the long fire fight.

Rugby club secretary Mr. Winston Jones slammed the “sick juveniles” who he claims put the lives of firemen and locals at risk. But police say there wer no suspicious circumstances.

But Mr. Jones says: “It is not the first time the rugby club found fires lit in the hall. Seats and loose furniture have been burned as well. We have tried to put barricades and chains up to keep them out,” he said.

He said there was little doubt the fire had been started deliberately because two giant speakers had been moved to the centre of the stage above the seat of the fire in the hope it would spread.

The fire was started in a room below the stage. Both were badly damaged.

The rugby club now faces a dilemma over what to do with the hall which they took over when they bought the club house. Police want the entrances to be bricked up to make the hall safe.

Mr. Jones says the club does not have the money to renovate the near derelict building and public meetings held in the past to discuss its future had drawn a blank.

He adds it is time for the community to come together and do something, but says there will be less money available now.
















Top of Page