ARSON has not been ruled out as the cause of a fire on Sunday which wrecked Pantyffynnon Rugby Club, known locally as Fantasy Island.
Police and fire experts seeking the causes of the blaze were this week sifting through the remains of the disused building for clues.
Meanwhile, other officers were involved in house to house inquiries in the Pantyffynnon area “We are keen to talk to anyone who saw anything happening in the vicinity of the club shortly before the alarm was raised at around 9.15 p.m.,” said Chief Inspector Moelwyn Morgan.
“We don't know yet how the fire started. But arson is one of the possibilities we are considering.”
Ammanford firemen dispatched two appliances to Pantyffynnon and had to use breathing apparatus to enter the blazing building. Divisional Officer Wyn Walters told the Guardian: “Flames were through the roof of the club bar when we arrived.
“It took us 40 minutes to bring the blaze under control, but we remained on the scene until around 11 p.m. to make sure the fire was properly out.”
Damage to the club, which has been closed since Dinefwr Borough Council's senior building control officer found it to be structurally unsound last November, was substantial.
At Ammanford Court last month, the club trustees were given four months in which to repair the building or demolish it.
Magistrates heard then that the clubhouse was dangerous and could collapse at any moment.
A long list of defects produced at the hearing, included dangerous wiring underneath bulging felt on the building's roof.