Home Page
 
15th AUGUST 1991
 
 

FAMILY FLED FOR THEIR LIVES

   

SCORCHED WALLS …THE RUINED FAMILY HOME AT GARNANT

FOLK ...GUITARIST KERI MORGAN.    

A GARNANT family were lucky to escape with their lives after a mystery blaze ripped through their three-storey home.

Keri Morgan and his wife, Angela, and their two young children are devastated by Monday night's fire which has left them with nothing.

The couple have spent the past two years renovating ‘Swnynant', at 20 Dynevor Road and they watched in horror as flames engulfed their dream home.

“All we have is what we are wearing,” Keri, a well-known guitarist with the folk group Jac Y Do told the Guardian.

“We're thankful that we're all safe and unhurt.

What's most upsetting is not that we've lost all our possessions but the work we'd put into the house.

We'd worked so hard and had reached a point where we'd almost finished it.”

Speaking at his parents home in Margaret Street, Ammanford, where the family are now staying, Keri said four-month-old Osian was in the living room, Sophie, aged 3, went upstairs to play in her bedroom.

FAMILY FLED FOR THEIR LIVES

A GARNANT family were lucky to escape with their lives after a mystery blaze ripped through their three-storey home.

Keri Morgan and his wife, Angela, and their two young children are devastated by Monday night's fire which has left them with nothing.

The couple have spent the past two years renovating ‘Swnynant', at 20 Dynevor Road and they watched in horror as flames engulfed their dream home.

“All we have is what we are wearing,” Keri, a well-known guitarist with the folk group Jac Y Do told the Guardian.

“We're thankful that we're all safe and unhurt.

What's most upsetting is not that we've lost all our possessions but the work we'd put into the house.

We'd worked so hard and had reached a point where we'd almost finished it.”

Speaking at his parents home in Margaret Street, Ammanford, where the family are now staying, Keri said four-month-old Osian was in the living room, Sophie, aged firemen, went upstairs to play in her bedroom.

LUCKY TO BE ALIVE

Keri, the headmaster at Llanedi School, started preparing the meal and Angela fetched chips from the shop.

The family had started eating when they heard a bang upstairs and thought something had fallen.

“Angela took a look and ran down shouting ‘fire'” said Keri.

“I told her to take the children out and I fetched a bowl of water, but before I reached the top of the stairs I was confronted by a large cloud of thick smoke coming towards me. I threw the bowl down and ran out. There was no way I was going in there.”

Dyfed Fire Brigade Divisional Commander Wyn Walters praised the family's actions.

They did the right thing. They heard a bang, saw the flames and very wisely got out and called us. The only thing you can't replace is people he said.

He blamed ‘modern furniture' for the swift spread of fire, the intense heat and toxic fumes.

Ammanford firemen arrived within eight minutes. They wore breathing apparatus to tackle the blaze which totally destroyed the tow upper floors and severely damaged the kitchen.

Divisional Commander Walters said gas did not cause the explosion.

Keri praised neighbours for their offers op help.

One neighbour, Mrs. Sylvia Turner, said: “They are lucky to be alive. I saw Angela running with the baby in her arms screaming and frightened. I came out of the house and I heard glass shattering and flames coming out of windows in the back.

STORY:
ALDWITH DAVIES

PHOTO:
DAVE HEWSON

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Top of Page