FIREMEN from Ammanford and Llandeilo helped avoid a major explosion when a van carrying oxy-acetylene cylinders caught fire at the entrance of Morgan Marine Factory in Llandybie, on Monday afternoon.
When the firecrews arrived at the scene, the van was engulfed in flames, and officers feared the cylinders would explode.
But they managed to control the blaze with foam and cooled the cylinders down in a skip filled with water.
A spokesman for Ammanford fire brigade said: “It was quite a dangerous situation. We were afraid the gas bottles would explode.”
The incident started when a lorry had a puncture outside the factor, which produces fibreglass kiosks.
When mechanics failed to remove the wheel nuts, another van, carrying the compressor was called for. But sparks from the compressor are believed to have started the fire.
The fire started at a time when workers were finishing for the day, and they were forced to leave by another gate.
The factory was not affected by the blaze, but one employee's car was damaged by the intense heat.