Home Page
 
5th JUNE 1975
   

TWO HOMES GUTTED BY FIRE

Renown for bad fires, these houses have since been re-built in BrickFire tends to get behind into the cavities and spread unnoticed
 

AFTER THE FIRE HAD GUTTED THE FIRST FLOOR OF A COUNCIL HOUSE AT CARRAGEGAMMAN ESTATE FIREMEN ARE SEEN ABOVE COVERING THE HOLE IN THE ROOF..

  INTERIOR PICTURE OF THE HOME OF MRS. WENDY ANN RICH, OF 18, CARREGAMMAN, AMMANFORD, AFTER A BLAZE WHICH STARTED IN THE FRONT BEDROOM        


MOTHER AND SMALL CHILDREN SCRAMBLE TO SAFETY

A mother and her two small children scurried to safety while fire raged in a first floor bedroom of their Ammanford council home earlier this week.

When Mrs. Wendy Ann Rich, the tenant of 18 Carregamman Estate, discovered the fire at about 4 o'clock on Monday afternoon, she tried to extinguish it with blankets and bedclothes and burned her legs in the attempt.

Meanwhile, three passers-by Chris Howells and his brother David, and Terry Davies all whom live at Treforis Estate, Betws, saw smoke coming from an upstairs window.

The men went in and helped Mrs. Rich and her two children, four year old Steven and two year old Melissa, to safety. They were taken to the home of Mrs. Joan Jones which is just opposite.

The first floor of Mrs. Rich's home was completely gutted but, due to the prompt action of the Ammanford Fire Brigade who had to employ breathing apparatus to enter the adjoining house was only slightly scorched.

Ten year old Nicola Thomas, who lives next door, was watching television in the sitting room with her twelve year old brother Andrew, and teenage sister, Carol, when she noticed smoke coming in through the window.

They and their dog, Judy, were taken to a friend's house

As a result of the fire Mrs. Rich is suffering from shock, and she and her children are staying with her parents Mr. And Mrs. Jenkins of 11 Wernddu Road, Ammanford.

Mrs. Rich had lived at Carregamman only since November.1974, having been on the council's housing list for two years. She plans to move back into her home as soon as the repairs have been carried out.

It is not known how the fire began.

STORY:
GAINA EVANS

PHOTO:
BILL & JOAN NEAL

 
     
     
        Top of Page