GROUND FLOOR EXTENSIVELY DAMAGED BY SMOKE AND FIRE.
Two babies were snatched to safety from their burning home last week by neighbours who banded together in a courageous rescue bid.
Anthony Mark Pugh, aged two, and his 18-month-old sister, Gillian Denise, were alone at 73 Cwmgarw road, Brynamman, when fire broke out in the living room.
The babies were screaming, helpless in the middle of the room as the flames rose higher.
But a woman passing the house noticed the fire and went into the corner-shop opposite, and told the proprietor, Mrs. E. Rees, who dashed across the road with 11-year-old Sheila Thomas, of 81, Cwmgarw Road.
Sheila, a pupil at Ammanford secondary modern school, kicked open the door while Mrs. Rees ran back to the shop to get something with which she could force her way into the house.
Then mr. Dick Jenkins, a retired hospital porter, of 67, Cwmgarw Road, appeared on the scene, rushed into the house, picked up the babies and handed them to Mrs. Jean Ryan a mother of four who lives at No. 52.
Mrs Ryan wrapped them in blankets and they were taken to a doctor, but were found to be uninjured by their experience.
Meanwhile, a woman waiting for a bus had rung the fire brigade. Two appliances arrived from Ammanford and fought the blaze for almost half an hour.
A fire brigade spokesman said that the ground floor was extensively damaged by smoke and fire. The family are now staying with relatives in Morristion.
Mrs Rees, the shopkeeper, said: "I could see the little boy standing by a chair which was on fire. He was screaming there's fire here, there's fire here."
Mrs. Rees. a reluctant heroin, would no allow the photograph to be taken.
Eleven-year-old Sheila explained her part in the rescue by simply saying: "I just went back a little bit and then ran at the door and kicked it - and it opened."
The babies' mother had gone out to see a neighbour further down the road, and the father was at work.