The Society for the Protection of Life from Fire's certificate was presented by the presiding magistrate, Mr. D. D. Thomas, to Mr. David Thomas Jenkins, a 62-year-old retired hospital worker, of 67, Cwmgarw Road , Brynamman, at Ammanford court on Monday.
“We honour and thank you for your braver,” said Mr. Thomas.
Anthony Mark Pugh, aged two and a half, and his sixteen-month-old sister, Gillian Denise, were alone at 73, Cwmgaraw Road , Brynamman, when fire broke out in the living room on November 14.
The babies were screaming, helpless in the middle of the room as the flames rose higher.
But a woman passing the house noticed the fire and went into the corner shop opposite and told the proprietor, Mrs. E. Rees, who dashed across the road with 11 year-old Sheila Elizabeth Harries Thomas, of 81, Cwmgaraw Road.
Sheila, a pupil at Ammanford secondary modern school, kicked open the door while Mrs. Rees ran back to the shop to get something with which she could force her way into the house.
Them Mr. Jenkins appeared on the scene, rushed into the house, picked up the babies and handed them to Mrs. Jean Ryan, a mother of four, who lives at No 52.
Mrs. Ryan wrapped them up in blankets and they were taken to a doctor, but were found to be uninjured by their experience.
Meanwhile, a woman waiting for a bus had rung for the fire brigade. Two appliances arrived from Ammanford and fought the blaze for almost half an hour.
“The lives on the children were undoubtedly saved by Mr. Jenkins who rescued them without regard for his own safety,” said Mr. Ieuan Davies, magistrates' clerk.
The chief constable of Dyfed Powys Constabulary, reported the incident to the Society who awarded the framed certificate.